Poluyahtova Inna Konstantinovna, Doctor of philological sciences, professor, sub-department of foreign literature, Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod (37 Bolshaya Pokrovskaya street, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), email@example.com
Background. The article presents the analysis of the “historical fate” theme and the monarchial power in the drama by L. A. Mei “Servilia”. The author aims to ana-lyze the ideological conception of the drama, which is one of underinvestigated works by L. A. Mei. The relevance of the study is associated with a need for re-evaluation of the phenomenon of classical literature in the new socio-cultural situation.
Materials and methods. The research tasks were implemented on the basis of a review and a critical analysis of conceptions of well-known Russian and foreign researchers. The author of the article employed biographical, comparative-historical, cultural-historical and some other methods.
Results. The drama “Servilia” with its ancient entourage coexists in the system of Mei’s works together with the translation of the “Inno di Garibaldi” which determines the unity and the contrast of the Mei’s reception of ancient and contemporary Italy. The author of the article has found out that the nature of the main female character (Servilia) is based on the romantic contrast. This kind of nature doesn’t deprive of psychologism: the human deals with injustice and meanness and is thrown into the arms of an unknown God. Servilia finds heroic traits, but it is the wonder of spiritual heroism.
Conclusions. The conclusion has been made that the drama is charged with dayto-day realities of ancient Rome resulting in a loss of theatrical effectiveness and the drama turns into a historical play of manners. The main conflict of the drama is social-historical which includes a philosophical collision – the birth of the new belief system – the Christianity that foreshadows the death of pagan gods. The formation of the new kind of ethical idea underlies the basis of Mei’s drama: not only the condemnation of tyrannical power, but the opposition of artistic epicureanism and the sacrificial service to humanity. The Russian poet saw attributes of the very spiritual rebirth that the Italian history has been expecting. In his work the author expressed a new worldview, the newness in the history of the nation and the renewal of the identity at once.
L. A. Mei, historical play of manners, philosophical collision, historical fate, entourage of Ancient Rome, Italian history
1. Prokhorov E. I. Dramy L. A. Meya [L. A. Mey’s dramas]. Moscow: Iskusstvo, 1961, pp. 7–26.
2. Mey L. A., Maykov A. Dramy. Dramaticheskie poemy [Dramas. Dramatic poems]. Moscow: Iskusstvo, 1961, 533 p.
3. Sharypina T. A. EXPERIMENTA LUCIFERA: sb. materialov III Povolzhskogo nauch.-metod. seminara po problemam prepodavaniya i izucheniya distsiplin klassicheskogo tsikla [EXPERIMENTA LUCIFERA: proceedings of III Volga region scientific and methodological seminar on the problems of studying and teaching classical disciplines]. Nizhniy Novgorod: Izd-vo Nizhegor. un-ta, 2005, pp. 92–96.
4. Gebbel' F. Izbrannoe: v 2 t. [Selected works: in 2 volumes]. Moscow: Iskusstvo, 1978, vol. 2, 671 p.
5. Men'shchikova M. K. Poetika tragedii Fridrikha Gebbelya «Nibelungi» (Spetsifika konflikta i sistema obrazov): dis. kand. filol. nauk [The poetics of Friedrich Hebbel’s tragedy “Nibelungs” (The conflict specifics and the image system): dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of philological sciences]. Nizhniy Novgorod, 2006, 191 p.
6. Zalesskaya M. K. Vagner. Moscow: Molodaya gvardiya, 2011, 397 p.
7. Potapova Z. M. Russko-ital'yanskie literaturnye svyazi. Vtoraya polovina XIX veka [Russian-Italian literary relations. The second part of the XIX century]. Moscow: Nauka, 1973, 288 p.
8. Merkantini L. Ital'yanskaya poeziya v russkikh perevodakh [Italian poetry in Russian translations]. Moscow: Raduga, 1992, 815 p.
9. Mercantini L. Inno di Garibaldi. Available at: http://a-pesni.org/nations/innogaribaldi. htm (accessed August 8, 2016).